Friday, October 29, 2010

Office Boo's!

I’m sure you’re like most people in that you’ve worked for more than one company; which naturally brings to light the urge to compare them. I only bring this up because in my line of work I have the opportunity to go into many different companies and offices throughout the week. So I naturally do a lot of mental comparisons of culture, dress, energy, and people interaction between our clients and potential clients. And this week I got to see first-hand how 2 large companies in the Houston Area “handle” Halloween. Although it’s not a nationally observed “day off type holiday”, like Christmas; I am amazed at how absolutely crazy people get about decorating their offices for Halloween! This week I saw a Hospital (yes a hospital) with a decoration of a half decomposed body hanging from a rope inside their main lobby with a sign that said “Enter at your own Risk!” I honestly couldn’t believe my eyes! Not to mention the not so subtle implication about the quality of their medical care. Now I’m not your (sorry for the generalization and possibly offensive stereo-type reference) stodgy old hard-line HR fuddy-duddy, but even I thought it was probably poor judgment.
I also was in the world HQ of a major pre-paid funeral service company and (no-kidding) they had decorated a hearse with zombies (which were actually mannequins, complete with fake blood and missing limbs) coming out of the doors and carriage! Now I actually liked that personally but I do think it might have bordered on poor taste.
So for all of the employee issues, practical jokes gone bad and complaints about attire that the holidays will bring to light and end up heaping loads of investigative work on all of you HR professionals out there, relax! Go easy on your employees. You know as well as I do that they were more than likely under the influence of 4 Jolly Ranchers, 6 Chico Sticks, more candycorn than should be allowed by law and enough Hershey Kisses to keep the Chilean coal-miners alive for a year.
Holiday parties, Halloween office haunts and a sugar-saturated workforce is obviously a recipe for disaster. So be pro-active and make sure you’re prepared to have those tough conversations with that secretary who shows up in the “scary hooker” costume or even the white executive who thinks it’s funny to come dressed as “Buckwheat” from the Little Rascals (yes I’m showing my age and yes that really happened) But remember the holidays, especially Halloween, can really bring out the dark side (and the stupid side) of even your best employees! And besides it’s not really even a new conversation… remember all the conversations you had to have with some of your employees after your company decided to go to Casual Friday? The two scenarios are virtually the same! So in a salute to all of the tough conversations and disciplinary action forms you had to write up because of someone’s pixie stick-fueled temporary lack of judgment, enjoy this clip of a Casual Friday gone bad!
Happy Halloween to all of the Lotus HR clients and partners! BOO!!!!